Friday 19 February 2010

Jim the giant squid


Having knitted many a Jean Greenhowe character and crocheted lots of teeny animals for the tables at my wedding last year, I'm now of the mind that amigurumi are so much more fun to make than garments, which always seem to turn out a bit odd for me.

My brother bought me 'Amigurumi Knits' by Hansi Singh for Christmas and its got some cunning patterns in there and nifty techniques I haven't tried before, like short rows.

The hermit crab looks awesome but he's listed as a 'lengthy project' so I honed my needle skills on the mythical giant squid 'the kraken', in a fetching day glo green and yellow combo.

He turned out quite well. I was going to give him away as a present because my house is overrun with knitted creatures, but as soon as I gave him eyes I bonded with him and now he's staying. Admittedly I did have to crochet the eyes because trying to circular knit from just 3 cast on stitches reduced me to tears, but the end effect is still pretty faithful to the pattern.

He's called Jim.

1 comment: